Welcome to Inscription
“Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.” - Robert A. Heinlein
Huzzah, aspiring calligraphers, authors and makers of groovy paper critters and kites! Inscription has the Write Stuff!!!
We will be located near Registration right by the Inscription trainer in Silvermoon. Click here for a map of all Craft Faire profession locations.
Please familiarize yourself with the policies of the AIE Craft Faire.
Our leveling guide uses wow-professions and elsprofessions as a base, but based on experience, includes some different choices when an inscriber reaches mid-Cata level. It’s never a bad idea to consult either guide, but it’s equally important to consult this page prior to the Craft Faire.
If you have any questions, please feel free to message Aldebaraan in-game and a reply will be sent as soon as possible.
- Aldebaraan, Ellynn and Aerwen
For information on our greatest needs, please consult:
- The Inscription Inventory Spreadsheet (Now With New and Improved Colors and a Key!).
- Donation preference: pigment > herb > ink
- Please avoid sending ink if possible (we don’t use much ink, and we have enough to fill in gaps for the next several (or 10) Craft Faires)
- Send mats to the following toons:
- Vanilla pigments: Graceylou (Bankers of Tordormore)
- BC, Wrath & Cata pigments, volatiles, or any inks: Susieorman (Compound Interest)
- MoP pigments: Tirtrazy or Chevaleresse (Hoarders of Azeroth)
Just to Keep it Faire
While all professions follow the policy guidelines for the Craft Faire in general, here are some Inscription specific things you need to know:
- Glyphs or Scrolls you make which you can use, you may keep
- Glyphs or Scrolls you make which you cannot use, please donate back to Inscription, or to your AIE guild bank. If donating back to Inscription realize they may be sold on the Auction House to make gold to buy hard-to-farm mats or fund future craft faire events
- Blue or Green BoE items you make during leveling should be gifted back to Inscription who donates them to Enchanting to be disenchanted (Yes, this is a repeat of the main policy, but this is important).
If you are in need of a specific glyph for which you do not have a recipe, we will do our best to accommodate you as time and materials allow. This may include being asked to send a list via in-game mail to an Inscription representative. Please realize if we are low on mats, we will be unable to make glyphs unless you provide what is necessary. We also may not yet have every glyph recipe.
Important Inking Info
- Please do not use the “Create All” button! You never know when a recipe will go from orange to yellow, and you do not want to use more mats than necessary. If an exact number is given, it is okay to enter the number and use the “Create” button to make exactly that many. If no numbers are given, please make one at a time to be sure mats are used as efficiently as possible.
- The Inscription trainer in Silvermoon is in the Court of the Sun near the Sunfury Spire
- Do not forget to bring lots of Light Parchment, an Inking Set and a lot of empty bag space!
Materials List 1-600
This is a list of materials needed to level Inscription from 1-600 on one toon. Pigment is listed in this format: ## x Item (Source of Item).
- 1 x Inking Set (Inscription supplies vendors)
- Light Parchment (Inscription supplies vendors…start with 3-4 stacks)
- 72 x Alabaster Pigment (Peacebloom, Silverleaf, Earthroot)
- 72 x Dusky Pigment (Mageroyal, Briarthorn, Swiftthistle, Bruiseweed, Strangle Kelp)
- 5 x Verdant Pigment (rare from Dusky Pigment herbs)
- 84 x Golden Pigment (Wild Steelbloom, Grave Moss, Kingsblood, Liferoot)
- 5 x Burnt Pigment (rare from Golden Pigment herbs)
- 78 x Emerald Pigment (Fadeleaf, Goldthorn, Khadgar’s Whiskers, Dragon’s Teeth)
- 5 x Indigo Pigment (rare from Emerald Pigment herbs)
- 48 x Violet Pigment (Firebloom, Purple Lotus, Arthas’ Tears, Sungrass, Blindweed, Ghost Mushroom, Gromsblood)
- 5 x Ruby Pigment (rare from Violet Pigment herbs)
- 78 x Silvery Pigment (Golden Sansam, Dreamfoil, Mountain Silversage, Sorrowmoss, Icecap)
- 8 x Sapphire Pigment (rare from Silvery Pigment herbs)
- 96 x Nether Pigment (ANY BC herb, Felweed and Terocone being the easiest to farm)
- 6 x Ebon (rare from BC herbs)
- 72 x Azure Pigment (ANY Northrend herb, Goldclover, Tiger Lily, Adder’s Tongue and Deadnettle being easiest to farm)
- 100 x Ashen Pigment (ANY Cataclysm herb, Whiptail, Cinderbloom and Heartblossom being easiest to farm)
- ~20 x Burning Embers (rare from Cataclysm herbs)
- 150 x Shadow Pigment (ANY MoP herb, Green Tea Leaf, Rain Poppy and Silkweed being easiest to farm)
- 12 x Misty Pigment (rare from MoP herbs)
Leveling Guide 1-600
Buy Light Parchment and an Inking Set from any Inscription Supplies vendor. They are usually near the Inscription trainer.
Important!: Any time it says “Any orange <item>” make sure you are near the Inscription trainer to train new recipes as the ones you are using will turn yellow prior to max range being reached. Do not use yellow recipes unless otherwise specified.
Reminder: Do Not use the “Create All” button!
Learn Appentice Inscription (must be level 5)
- 36 x [Moonglow Ink] – 72 Alabaster Pigment
Note: if you do not get to 60, start [Research: Moonglow Ink] early.
Learn Journeyman Inscription (must be level 10)
- 8 x [Research: Moonglow Ink] – 24 Moonglow Ink
- 36 x [Midnight Ink] - 72 Dusky Pigment
- 2 x [Research: Moonglow Ink] - 6 Moonglow Ink
- 5 x [Hunter's Ink] - 5 Verdant Pigment
- 1 x [Mystic Tome] - 5 Hunter's Ink
- 2 x [Research: Moonglow Ink] - 6 Moonglow Ink
- 42 x [Lion's Ink] - 84 Golden Pigment
- 7 x [Research: Midnight Ink] - 21 Midnight Ink
Learn Inscription Expert (must be level 20)
- 5 x [Dawnstar Ink] – 5 Burnt Pigment
- 5 x [Research: Midnight Ink] - 15 Midnight Ink
- 1 x [Book of Survival] – 5 Dawnstar Ink
- 39 x [Jadefire Ink] – 78 Emerald Pigment
- 9 x [Research: Lion's Ink] - 27 Lion's Ink
- 5 x [Royal Ink] – 5 Indigo Pigment
- 1 x [Tome of Kings] – 5 Royal Ink
- 5 x [Research: Lion's Ink] - 15 Lion's Ink
Learn Inscription Artisan (must be level 35)
- 24 x [Celestial Ink] - 48 Violet Pigment
- 7 x [Research: Jadefire Ink] - 21 Jadefire Ink
- 5 x [Fiery Ink] – 5 Ruby Pigment
- 1 x [Book of Stars] - 5 Fiery Ink
- 6 x [Research: Jadefire Ink] - 18 Jadefire Ink
- 39 x [Shimmering Ink] - 78 Silvery Pigment
- 8 x [Research: Celestial Ink] - 24 Celestial Ink
- 279-287 (Preferred method)
- 8 x [Ink of Sky] - 8 Sapphire Pigment
- 287-292 (Preferred method)
- 1 x [Stormbound Tome] – 8 Ink of the Sky
Learn Inscription Master (must be level 50)
- 45 x [Ethereal Ink] – 90 Nether Pigment
- 7 x [Research: Shimmering Ink] - 21 Shimmering Ink
- 6 x [Darkflame Ink] – 6 Ebon Pigment
- 1 x [Book of Clever Tricks] – 6 Darkflame Ink
- 6 x [Research: Shimmering Ink] - 18 Shimmering Ink
Learn Inscription Grand Master (must be level 65)
- 36 x [Ink of Sea] - 72 Azure Pigment
- 15 x [Research: Ethereal Ink] - 45 Ethereal Ink
- 12 x [Research: Ink of the Sea] - 36 Ink of the Sea
Learn Illustrious Inscription (must be level 75)
- 30 x [Blackfallow Ink] – 60 Ashen Pigment
- 10 x [Research: Blackfallow Ink] - 30 Blackfallow Ink
- 7-8 x [Inferno Ink] - ~14-16 Burning Embers (may be more or less than 20 ink, this is an average, so be careful when creating!)
- 16-18 x [Blackfallow Ink] – 32-36 Ashen Pigment
- 6 x [Research: Blackfallow Ink] - 18 Blackfallow Ink
Note: may require more ashen pigment to level to 500 instead of farming the Origami Techniques.
There are 3 Origami Technique recipes which can be farmed from Cataclysm locations which will enable leveling from 482-510 with parchment only. It is not necessary to farm for these for the Faire, but they are fun recipes to have and can be obtained in the following locations:
- Technique: Origami Slime – Vashj’ir mobs
- Technique: Origami Rock – Deepholm mobs
- Technique: Origami Beetle – Uldum mobs
Learn Zen Inscription (must be level 80)
- 6 x [Starlight Ink] – 12 Misty Pigment
- ~60 x [Ink of Dreams] - ~120 Shadow Pigment (You will probably reach even 545 by making the Inks, then stop making them and only make more if you need them.)
- 540-597 (Preferred)
- 20 x [Research: Ink of Dreams] - 60 Ink of Dreams
- 597-600 (Preferred)
- 1 x [Scroll of Wisdom] - 3 Ink of Dreams (can only make one since this on daily cooldown)
If you don't get to 600, you can try the following using [Ink of Dreams]
- 3 x Any Shoulder enchant – 6 Starlight Ink
If you don't get to 600, you can try the following using [War Paints], assuming you are level 100 and have started Inscription garrison dailies.
- 10 x [Card of Omens] - 5 War Paints
If your main goal is to get any of the epic Insciption items like [Inscribed Serpent Staff], you should stop making the Research at 560 because you will reach 600 by making the materials for the epic items. (like 20 Scroll of Wisdow). Not to mention the staffs alone will grant you 30 skill points when you make them.