Guild Wars 2 Basic PVP Intro
There are two types of PVP systems, Structured PVP (sPVP) and World vs World (WvW).
Structured PVP Basics
- This are basically rated battleground matches played on a Conquest type map.
- Players compete on an even footing, where skill and not gear is the deciding factor.
- It provides players with a fully geared level 80 premade toon, with all skills unlocked.
- No XP is earned here since there is no need to ever level your character.
- sPVP is completely isolated from the rest of the world and doesn’t grant PVE rewards.
- There is no gear progression, you can earn “Rank” by earning PVP experience and “glory”, this can be used to buy better looking equipment from glory vendors.
- Glory is a type of currency that can be used to get PVP rewards.
- Unlike experience levels, Rank is account wide and is a measurement of success in PvP
How do I get there?
(After the intro tutorial) Press H, select the PvP tab and log into the Mists (PvP lobby area)
WvW PVP Basics
- This is basically an open PVP map with multiple objectives at a grand scale.
- Your home server (team) will face battle against two other servers.
- Matches will last two week and each team will accrue points per objectives captured.
- Players can besiege structures, battle over resources and win rewards for their world.
- WvW is completely isolated from the rest of the world but it grants PVE rewards.
- Your toon will be upleveled to 80 but you will retain your current gear and PVE progress.
- You can level via WvW and will earn XP and Loot from player kills.
How do I get there?
Press B and then select what World you wish to enter.
WvW Basic Tips
For those new to WvW while they are trying to figure out the gist of things.
- Stay in group
- ALWAYS carry 10 supply with you at all times.
- Control the supply lines (Dolyak Supply Caravans) they are the lifeblood of WvW
- Claim Towers and Keeps in your guild’s name to earn more influence
- Defend what you control and repair gates and walls.
- Upgrade your camps, towers and keeps- This will make them last longer and will provide your team with additional waypoints
- Never upgrade the walls unless you already upgraded the cannons on each entrance.
- Never EVER take supply from StoneMist.